In this Media Release
- A new Visitor Economy Ministerial Advisory Committee will help steer Victoria’s bold new approach to tourism and major events.
- The 11 experts will provide crucial advice to grow our visitor economy and retain Victoria’s status as a world leader.
- Destination Phillip Island Regional Tourism Board chairman and former Victorian Tourism Minister John Pandazopoulos will chair the Committee.
A new Visitor Economy Ministerial Advisory Committee will help steer Victoria’s bold new approach to tourism and major events.
Minister for Tourism and Major Events John Eren today announced the appointment of 11 experts charged with providing crucial advice to grow our visitor economy and retain Victoria’s status as a world leader in tourism and major events.
Destination Phillip Island Regional Tourism Board Chairman John Pandazopoulos will chair the Committee. Mr Pandazopoulos is a former Victorian Minister for Tourism, so he has the knowledge and skills to safeguard the state’s title as a world leader.
Other members of the Visitor Economy Ministerial Advisory Committee include:
- Mr Gary Brown, Delaware North Australia Managing Director
- Ms Rebecca Casson, Committee for Geelong Chief Executive
- Ms Tracey Cooper, Mornington Peninsula Regional Tourism Board Executive Chairperson
- Ms Gillian Franklin The Heat Group Pty Ltd Managing Director and Deputy Chair, Australian Grand Prix Corporation
- Mr Justin Giddings, Avalon Airport Chief Executive
- Mr Matthew Jackson, Phillip Island Nature Parks Chief Executive
- Mr Jeremy Johnson, Victoria Tourism Industry Council Chairman
- Ms Natalie Pizzini, Pizzini Wines Branding and Marketing Manager
- Ms Karen Quinlan, Bendigo Art Gallery Director
- Mr Mike Yang, Chinese Community Council of Australia Victoria Chapter President
The Andrews Labor Government is getting on with a once-in-a-generation shake up of Victoria’s approach to tourism and major events. Last year, the Government embarked on the Victorian Visitor Economy Review – the first of its kind in decades.
The Labor Government is establishing Visit Victoria, a world-leading entity responsible for growing Victoria’s visitor economy. The new body will bring key agencies including Tourism Victoria and Victorian Major Events Company under one roof.
The Labor Government’s 2015-16 Victorian Budget includes an additional $80 million towards the state’s events war chest. The Government is also rolling out an ambitious $3 million regional tourism marketing campaign.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Tourism and Major Events John Eren
“John Pandazopoulos was at the helm during a really successful era for tourism and major events in Victoria. He knows what it takes to remain number one.”
“The tourism and major events sector is a broad field, so we’ve given careful consideration to making sure all interests are represented.”
“We’re getting on with the job of delivering a bigger and better visitor economy, because it means jobs for Victorians and a stronger state.”