VCE exams officially began today with 41,690 students sitting the English exam and another 3,879 sitting English as an Additional Language exam.
Minister for Education James Merlino congratulated VCE students who have persevered despite the many challenges and disruptions 2020 has thrown their way.
In recognition of these challenges and the different ways they have been impacted at both the school and individual student level, the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) this year introduced the new Consideration of Educational Disadvantage process for calculating VCE scores.
A total of 83,583 students will sit at least one examination – written, performance or oral – by the time exams finish on 1 December.
Key facts and figures for the 2020 exam period are:
- 83,583 students are sitting at least one exam
- 41,690 students are sitting the English exam on 10 November
- 3,879 students are sitting English as an Additional Language exam on 10 November
- 367 mature-age students are sitting exams
- 47 VCE languages are being examined
- There are 521 examination centres in Victoria schools
- Bendigo Senior Secondary College is the largest examination centre with 950 students
- St Mary MacKillop College and Derrinallum P-12 College is the smallest examination centres with just five students
The VCE written exams will be conducted in compliance with the Victorian Chief Health Officer’s health and safety advice applying to schools and other venues at the time of the examinations.
Statements of Results will arrive in the mail from Wednesday 6 January 2021.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“Good luck to all students who are sitting VCE exams in what has been an extremely challenging year.”
“Thank you to all students, their teachers and their families for their hard work, commitment and extraordinary resilience in the lead up to these exams.”
“This has been a year like no other, and the class of 2020 should be especially proud of how far they have come and how much they have achieved.”
Reviewed 09 November 2020