The Andrews Labor Government has implemented more than half of the 227 recommendations made by the Royal Commission into Family Violence.
Premier Daniel Andrews and Minister for Prevention of Family Violence Gabrielle Williams joined Rosie Batty today to mark three years since the Commission delivered its landmark report and release an update on the delivery of its recommendations.
Family violence is a national emergency. The Labor Government is implementing every one of the Commission’s recommendations, backed with a historic investment of more than $2.7 billion to keep women, children and families safe.
The Three years on from the Royal Commission into Family Violence report shows 120 recommendations have now been fully implemented. The latest 30 include:
- Changes to how Victoria Police responds to family violence
- Family violence training for VCAT members
- A review of the Residential Tenancies Act to better protect tenants experiencing family violence
- Changes to how the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria handles family violence matters
- Dedicated family violence workers in the Melbourne Children’s Court
- The establishment of Umalek Balit, a culturally safe program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families who come to the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court for family violence-related court proceedings
The Labor Government has already made significant reforms to keep women and children safe, including the rollout of five Orange Door Support Hubs that have provided support to nearly 40,000 women and children who previously wouldn’t have had anywhere to go.
The Government has also rolled out Respectful Relationships education in more than 1,000 Victorian schools, established the state’s first ever family violence prevention agency – Respect Victoria – and introduced legislative reforms to keep women and children safe.
Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews
“We established the Royal Commission into Family Violence and we’re getting on with implementing every single one of its recommendations.”
“We have come a long way, but there’s so much more to do. It’s a tragic fact that family violence remains our number one law and order issue – we need to stay the course and do everything we can to keep women and children safe.”
Quotes attributable to Minister for Prevention of Family Violence Gabrielle Williams
“The Royal Commission scrutinised the system from the ground up and helped identify what we needed to do.”
“We’re not wasting a moment because it makes a real difference to the lives of women and children.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020