The Andrews Labor Government is delivering for thousands of students and staff at Victoria’s major universities who are returning for the new semester with improved bus services to and from their campuses.
Minister for Public Transport Jacinta Allan announced today that Melbourne, Monash, Deakin and La Trobe Universities will all have new shuttle bus routes and services creating better public transport links.
La Trobe University will benefit from a new bus service between Reservoir Station and the Bundoora Campus with a service of every 10 minutes, between 7am and 7pm on university days. The new services will start on 16 February to coincide with the University’s International Welcome Festival to orientate new international students.
Melbourne University students will benefit from additional bus services on Route 505 between Moonee Ponds and the University with more trips at peak hours and better connections with trains.
A new Route 403 shuttle bus between Footscray Station and Melbourne University, also service the Parkville hospital precinct providing additional public transport links for staff and visitors to the Melbourne and Royal Women’s Hospitals.
Deakin University staff and students will be able to use a new service which will link Box Hill station to the Burwood Campus. Route 201 will operate every 20 minutes, from 7am to 10pm on university days.
The 670 route will be reinstated to travel to the Box Hill TAFE, Lilydale Campus from 22 February, providing direct connection for students from Ringwood Station and Lilydale station to the campus.
Last week, it was announced that Monash University will benefit from a new university bus service providing six express return trips between Rosebud and the Mornington University Peninsula Campus on university days. This new service will connect the campus with residents along the Peninsula and with Frankston station.
The shuttles to Deakin, Monash and Melbourne Universities will commence on 22 February.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Public Transport Jacinta Allan
“The Andrews Labor Government is making public transport simpler and quicker to will allow students and staff to turn up and go.”
“We’re making it easier for students and staff to get to and from train and bus hubs to where they study and work.”
“These new services will help thousands of Victorian students to get to and from classes without worrying about confusing timetables.”
"We're also improving public transport access to the Royal Women’s and Royal Melbourne Hospitals, particularly for regional areas."
La Trobe University: (New Route – starts 16 February 2016)
Route 301 – La Trobe University – Reservoir Station
- Route 301 is a shuttle service between Reservoir Station on the South Morang line and the University campus every 10 minutes, between 7am and 7pm, Monday to Friday.
- In the past there has been no single ‘best option’ for students and staff travelling to and from La Trobe University’s Bundoora Campus.
Monash University: (New Route - starts 22 February)
Route 887 – Rosebud – Monash University Peninsula Campus
- This service will provide six express return trips between Rosebud and the Mornington University Peninsula Campus each day, Monday to Friday.
- The new service is a funding partnership between the Victorian Government, Mornington Peninsula Shire and Monash University.
- The service will operate for the next 12 months on a trial basis.
- This regular service will also be open to the general public.
Deakin University: (New Route - starts: 22 February)
Route 201 – Box Hill – Deakin University Campus Shuttle (new Route)
- The new 201 bus service will provide a direct link between the Box Hill bus interchange (located a short walk from Box Hill station), to Deakin University.
- The service will operate every 20 minutes, from 7am to 10pm Monday to Friday.
- The bus will operate on all University days and on the following public holidays; Melbourne Cup, Labour Day and Queen’s birthday.
Melbourne University: (New Route - starts: 22 February)
Route 403 – Footscray – Melbourne University (new Route)
- Route 403 is an off-peak express bus service between Footscray and Parkville.
- Destinations served include Royal Melbourne Hospital, Royal Women’s Hospital and the University of Melbourne.
- The new off-peak shuttle service offers regional commuters 32 weekday services and a single transfer connection to the University and Parkville precincts.
Route 505 – Moonee Ponds – Melbourne University
(additional services start - 21 February)
- Route 505 between Moonee Ponds and Melbourne University will get more services at peak hours.
- An extra four trips will operate (two in each direction) every weekday.
Reviewed 19 August 2020