I have today met the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police to discuss a range of issues including riotous behaviour by far right and far left groups in Coburg on Saturday.
What's clear from that discussion is that reinstating broad anti-protest and anti-worker "Move On" laws is not the most effective response to such behaviour.
Following discussions with Victoria Police, the Government will examine:
- Laws against the wearing of face coverings at protests
- Laws which would allow police to identify individuals or groups of individuals whose intent is violence rather than a genuine desire to protest or demonstrate
- Providing police with the powers to intervene to prevent individuals or groups with violent intent entering a designated area or areas
- A requirement on local government to consult with Victoria Police prior to providing permits for certain types of protests
- Stronger penalties against those who commit violent acts at public events
The Government will continue working with Victoria Police to deliver these new powers.
Reviewed 19 August 2020