Eight picnic horse racing venues across Victoria will soon reap the benefits of upgraded facilities thanks to $300,000 in funding provided by the Andrews Labor Government and racing industry bodies.
Minister for Racing Martin Pakula today announced that the Labor Government would invest $100,000 from its Victorian Racing Industry Fund to support the projects, with clubs tipping in a total of $150,000 and Racing Victoria and Country Racing Victoria, $50,000 combined.
The funding will enable Racing Victoria to improve safety for participants and enhance facilities for patrons on race days. Work on the projects are expected to be completed by the end of January 2020.
Individual works are:
- Alexandra – new cool room for its function room and upgraded electrical metering, switchboard, safety breakers and power distribution
- Balnarring – new irrigation system
- Dederang – landscaping of marquee area and the installation of 190m of outside running rail
- Drouin – new shade sails, tree root pruning and earthworks in the public area on the home straight
- Mansfield – automated plant watering system, new member entry area, painting and the fit-out of a female jockey room including shower, vanity and toilet
- Merton – six new horse stalls, an additional horse wash and new shade sail and footings
- Omeo – demolition of existing stalls and construction of 22 new horse stalls
- Woolamai – new irrigation system.
The thoroughbred racing industry in regional Victoria generates more than $710 million for the Victorian economy and helps sustain more than 6,100 full-time-equivalent jobs.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Racing Martin Pakula
“Picnic racing provides a great day out and it’s important that this level of the sport is not taken for granted.”
“This is about enhancing experiences for locals and visitors and ensuring that racing continues to be a significant employer in regional areas.”
“We’re proud to support these upgrades which will benefit horse, rider and racegoer in various combinations.”
Quote attributable to Racing Victoria chair Brian Kruger
“Picnic racing is a highlight for many racegoers and we’re grateful for the support of the Victorian Government to make these projects possible.”
Quote attributable to Country Racing Victoria chair Lance McMillan
“From Dederang to Drouin and Alexandra to Woolamai, picnic meetings pull big crowds, especially over the warmer months, and it’s fantastic that racing fans will soon have even more reason to roll up.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020