The Andrews Labor Government will create thousands of jobs and opportunities for small, local businesses, with registrations now open to help build the North East Link
More than 10,000 jobs and millions of dollars of contracts will be up for grabs, as part of the $15.8 billion project that will carry up to 135,000 vehicles daily, slash travel times by up to 35 minutes and deliver the missing link in Melbourne’s freeway network.
The Labor Government is encouraging sole traders and small and medium businesses to register their details now for contract opportunities as North East Link is built over the next eight years.
Plumbers, electricians, building trades, roof services, landscapers, form workers, carpenters, bricklayers and concreters are just some of the businesses being encouraged to register their interest.
There will be opportunities for traffic management services, training providers, safety gear suppliers, air-conditioning and heating services, surveying and mapping services, engineering design and consulting, architects, office administration and mechanics.
Manufacturing industries and producers of cement and lime, ready mixed concrete, asphalt, electric cables and switches, are also being sought as well as businesses who hire out construction-related machinery and equipment.
With builders getting ready to start early works for North East Link soon, there are opportunities for jobs now and for small and medium-sized businesses to get on board. The consortium selected by the end of the year to design and build this massive project will also need to show how they will create local jobs and training opportunities.
Businesses and employees in the Bulleen Industrial Precinct which are impacted by the project will be offered additional reskilling and training opportunities. As part of North East Link’s business support package, businesses will have access to individual support plans, a relocation specialist and marketing assistance.
An employment assistance strategy will also be developed for employees of businesses closing or relocating and they will receive skill assessments, job support and training and development.
Interested businesses should register there interest here: gateway.icn.org.au/project/4055/north-east-link
Quotes Attributable to Minister for Transport Infrastructure Jacinta Allan
“North East Link is a huge project that will change how we move around our city forever - and we need all hands on deck to build it.”
“As we get on with a massive pipeline of major projects, we look to put local jobs first - so put your hand up now to help build North East Link.”
Quotes attributable to Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade Martin Pakula
“We are creating more jobs for Victorians and supporting local industry by inviting small and medium businesses to be part of building our biggest road project.”
“We know that one of the biggest challenges for local businesses is breaking into new or expanding supply chains and that’s why we’re making sure there are opportunities for everyone to be part of North East Link.”
SOME OF THE JOBS THAT WILL BE UP FOR GRABS
- Gravel and Sand Quarrying
- Cement and Lime Manufacturing
- Ready-Mixed Concrete Manufacturing
- Concrete Product Manufacturing
- Aluminium Rolling, Drawing, Extruding
- Iron and Steel Forging
- Structural Steel Fabricating
- Prefabricated Metal Building Manufacturing
- Metal Coating and Finishing
- Nut, Bolt, Screw and Rivet Manufacturing
- Lifting and Material Handling Equipment Manufacturing
- Road and Bridge Construction
- Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction
- Land Development and Subdivision
- Site Preparation Services
- Concreting Services
- Bricklaying Services
- Roofing Services
- Structural Steel Erection Services
- Plumbing Services
- Electrical Services
- Traffic management
- Training providers
- Safety gear suppliers
- Air Conditioning and Heating Services
- Fire and Security Alarm Installation Services
- Other Building Installation Services
- Plastering and Ceiling Services
- Carpentry Services
- Tiling and Carpeting Services
- Glazing Services
- Landscape Construction Services
- Hire of Construction Machinery with Operator
- Construction Services
- Architectural Services
- Surveying and Mapping Services
- Engineering Design and Engineering Consulting Services
- Other Specialised Design Services
- Scientific Testing and Analysis Services
- Labour Supply Services
- Office Administrative Services
Reviewed 26 June 2020