Victoria’s health volunteer champions have been honoured for their tireless contribution helping those in need at the 2018 Minister for Health Volunteer Awards.
Minister for Health Jill Hennessy and Parliamentary Secretary for Carers and Volunteers Gabrielle Williams today joined the six worthy award winners and a host of others at the MCG to pay tribute to their feats.
Every day, hundreds of volunteers across Victoria put in countless hours at our hospitals, ambulance services, community health centres and mental health and aged care facilities – making a real difference to the lives of Victorian patients when they need it most.
The award winners are:
- Samuel Symons, Peter MacCallum Cancer Research – Outstanding Achievement by a Young Volunteer
- Eastern Palliative Care Biography Team – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer – Improving the Patient Experience
- Bendigo Health Enriched Environment Project – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer – Better Care Victoria innovation award
- Dorothy Lippmann, Wintringham – Outstanding Lifetime Achievement
- Alan Deery, Peninsula Health – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer – Improving Public Health Care
- Donna Socratous, Multiple Sclerosis Limited – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer – Supporting Diversity
An Honour Roll also pays tribute to volunteers who have contributed 50 years’ service in public health care. Brian Cantlon from St John Ambulance is this year’s Honour Roll inductee.
To learn more about this year’s volunteers, visit health.vic.gov.au/health-workforce.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Health Jill Hennessy
“Our health volunteers do a world of good making a real difference for patients when they need it most. We’re so proud of what they do each and every day.”
“Samuel Symons has never let his ill health get in the way of making a tremendous contribution to the lives of others. He’s a true health volunteer hero.”
Quotes attributable to Parliamentary Secretary for Carers and Volunteers Gabrielle Williams
“Volunteers are the glue that holds our communities together. This is the tenth anniversary of these awards, and it’s proof that volunteering in Victoria is as strong as ever.”
“The role that volunteers play in our health care system is invaluable – their empathy and willingness to help is truly inspiring.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020