Disaster Assistance For The Victorian Floods

17 September 2016

Minister for Justice Michael Keenan and Victorian Minister for Emergency Services James Merlino today announced a range of additional disaster assistance has been activated in response to recent flooding affecting parts of Victoria.

Minister Keenan said assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

“Both the Australian and Victorian governments are committed to supporting flood affected communities,” Mr Keenan said.

“A range of additional assistance has now been activated by the Australian and Victorian Governments to ensure that all flood affected communities have the support they need to recover from these devastating floods.”

Minister Merlino said NDRRA assistance is being rolled out to 22 flood affected local government areas and will be extended to other areas as required.

“A range of assistance is available to eligible individuals including relief assistance for immediate food, shelter and clothing, personal counselling, and re-establishment grants for eligible individuals whose homes have been destroyed or damaged,” Mr Merlino said.

“Financial help is also available to local councils to help with the cost of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets, such as roads and bridges,”

“Anyone who has been affected by the flooding should call the Victorian Emergency Recovery Information Line on 1300 799 232 for assistance.”

The 22 local government areas receiving NDRRA assistance are: Ararat, Ballarat, Buloke, Central Goldfields, Colac Otway, Corangamite, Glenelg, Golden Plains, Hepburn, Horsham, Loddon, Macedon Ranges, Mitchell, Moorabool, Mount Alexander, Moyne, Northern Grampians, Pyrenees, Southern Grampians, Surf Coast, West Wimmera and Yarriambiack.

Emergency re-establishment grants are already being provided to eligible individuals in the flood affected Southern Grampians and Buloke Shire regions.

Information regarding disaster assistance available can be found on the Vic Emergency website at Link or the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at Link .

Reviewed 19 August 2020

Was this page helpful?