More students and their families will soon have access to a great education in their local area thanks to the Andrews Labor Government, with 13 new schools on track to open in 2023.
Tenders for construction have been put out as part of a $491.6 million investment to build 10 of the 13 new schools, contributing to the Labor Government’s promise to opening 100 new schools across the state by 2026.
The 10 schools, currently known by their interim names, include:
- Camms Road Primary School – Cranbourne West
- Hayes Hill Primary School – Donnybrook
- Holyoake Primary School – Manor Lakes
- Lollypop Creek Primary School – Werribee
- Merrifield West Secondary School – Mickleham
- Officer Rix Road Primary School – Officer
- Riverdale East Primary School – Tarneit
- Rockbank Murray Road Primary School – Thornhill Park
- Tarneit Missen House Primary School – Tarneit
- Wollert West Primary School – Wollert
Also included in the 13 schools for 2023 are:
- A new campus for North Melbourne Primary School, which has already had a builder appointed, being Hansen Yuncken. Construction on the Molesworth Street site is due to start this year.
- Wollert East Secondary School in Wollert, which has already gone to tender and had ADCO appointed the builder
- Mount Ridley Special School in Craigieburn, which will have a builder appointed later in the year.
Camms Road and Wollert West primary schools, which will include early learning centres on site, have been designed as Supported Inclusion Schools, providing accessible and inclusive education for all students.
These schools include a greater emphasis on supporting students with disabilities to access specialist infrastructure and teaching expertise to ensure all Victorian children can attend a great local school.
The Victorian Budget 2021/22 has seen $1.6 billion invested to build new schools and improve existing schools to make sure our kids have the bright futures they deserve.
In the past seven years, the Government has invested more than $10.9 billion in building new schools and more than 1,700 school upgrades, creating around 13,500 jobs in construction and associated industries. It is now ahead of schedule in its commitment to open 100 new schools by 2026, with 62 new schools opening between 2019 and 2024.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“We are building modern new schools to ensure all Victorian students and their families have access to a great education close to home”
“We look forward to securing builders for these brand new schools so we can get on with the job of opening 100 new schools by 2026 and giving our students the great education they deserve.”
Reviewed 15 July 2021