Victoria’s most dedicated players, coaches, clubs and officials are in the running for the Victorian Government’s Community Sport and Recreation Awards.
Minister for Sport John Eren today announced the 24 community champions chosen from thousands of entries as finalists in the awards that recognise Victorians who help to make grassroots sport possible.
Our local clubs are where communities get together, players become stars and kids learn skills they’ll use all their lives, but they’re only the great places they are because of the hard work of committed volunteers.
The winner of each category will collect $3000, while the runners up will win $1000 each. Mr Eren will also present a Minister’s Award to a candidate for outstanding achievement.
The Community Sport and Recreation Awards will be held on Monday November 9 at the MCG.
See below for a list of finalists.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Sport, John Eren
“Our finalists are a who’s who of Victoria’s most committed and dedicated grassroots volunteers. They’re all worthy winners.”
“We’re not the sporting capital of the world by chance. This is our opportunity to pay tribute to those that make sport in Victoria great.”
“Sport is at the centre of our suburbs and towns. It wouldn’t be possible without the hard work of our clubs, coaches, officials and volunteers.”
Community Sporting Club of the Year:
- Flyaway Gymnastics Club
- Noble Park Junior Football Club
- Wellington Hockey Club
Community Coach of the Year:
- Errol Hart, Wyndham Track and Field Club
- Nathan Sewell and Kirsty Bone, South East Eagles Basketball Club
- Peter Mair, Southern Football Netball League
Community Umpire or Referee/Official of the Year:
- Mark Zanatta, Cycling Victoria
- Peter Tindale, Kyabram Swimming Club
- Robern Manhire, Dandenong Basketball Referees’ Association
Outdoor Recreation Initiative
- Active in Parks, People and Parks Foundation
- Discover Sailing Day, Yachting Victoria
- Ian White, Melbourne Playgrounds
Service to Sport and Recreation
- Don Cheyne, Eastern Suburbs and Churches Table Tennis Association
- Lorraine Macdonald, Motorcycling Victoria
- Peter Cullen, Reclink Australia
Community Sporting Event of the Year
- AFL National Inclusion Carnival
- Victorian Country Tennis Association Country Week
- Woorrangalook Victorian Koori Surfing Titles
Community Sport and Recreation Facility Award
- Braybrook Community Hub Development
- Hume Tennis and Community Centre
- TH King Pavilion and Stonnington Environmental Education and Design Centre
Young Volunteer of the Year
- Courtney Pearson, Hockey Geelong
- Jessica Woodward, Life Saving Victoria
- Lauren Riddel, Football Federation Victoria
Reviewed 19 August 2020