Minister for Health, Jill Hennessy, today thanked the many Victorians who volunteer their time to care for others in the community.
Announced during National Volunteer Week, the 2015 Minister for Health Volunteer Awards recognise the dedication and commitment of volunteers at Victoria's health services.
From providing advice and support on telephone information helplines, to promoting awareness and advocating for better care and services, to spending time with patients at the bedside, volunteers are vital to the health and wellbeing of the community.
The Awards, now in their seventh year, also recognise people who have spent a lifetime volunteering, as well as young volunteers who are already impressing with their commitment to helping others.
Recipients of the Outstanding Volunteer Achievement Award in 2015 are:
- Opal Gallagher, Barwon Health
- Kylie Lewis, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Maurice Williams, Ambulance Victoria
- Elsie Ferguson, Monash Health
- Watermark Charity House Committee, Western District Health Service
- The Ark Toy and Activity Centre team, East Grampians Health Service
- Hazeldean Transition Care Unit Volunteer Team, Western Health
- Julian Conlon, Peninsula Health
- Refugee Health Volunteer Team, Monash Health
- Masha Zeleznikow OAM, Jewish Care Victoria Inc
- VAC Outreach Team, Victorian AIDS Council (VAC)
- Reconnexion Support & Information Team, EACH Social and Community Health
- PANDA Volunteers, PANDA (Post and Antenatal Depression Association)
- Hep Connect Team, Hepatitis Victoria
- Veteran Support Volunteer Program team, Barwon Health
- Milan Gluhak, Western Health
The 2015 Minister for Health Volunteer Awards received 94 entries from 57 organisations including hospitals, ambulance services, community health, mental health and aged care services across the state.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Health, Jill Hennessy
“Health volunteers make a remarkable difference in supporting the most frail, sick and vulnerable people in our community, and we celebrate their inspirational contributions today.”
“I congratulate and thank all health volunteers for their kindness, generosity and willingness to step forward to help others in need.”
Quotes attributable to Parliamentary Secretary for Carers and Volunteers, Gabrielle Williams
"One in three Victorians volunteer in some capacity, and research shows that those who volunteer are happier than those who do not."
"Our health volunteers display extra special care for those who are sick and frail and at their most vulnerable, and I thank them for their fantastic work."
Reviewed 19 August 2020