Bushfire Disaster Assistance For Victorian Communities

18 March 2018

Disaster assistance has been extended to Victorian communities affected by the bushfires in the south west of the state.

Assistance for the local government areas of Colac-Otway, Corangamite, Moyne and Southern Grampians is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

Minister for Law Enforcement and Cyber Security Angus Taylor, who has responsibility for Commonwealth disaster funding, said the emergency assistance will help people who have been directly affected by the fires.

“Swift action is needed to help families and individuals recover from these devastating bushfires,” Mr Taylor said.

“The Commonwealth and Victorian governments are committed to working together to help people get back on their feet.”

Victorian Minister for Emergency Services James Merlino said that Emergency Re-establishment Assistance is now being made available in addition to the Personal Hardship Assistance Payments that are available to all eligible fire-affected community members.

“This assistance will help affected communities with any immediate needs and also help re-establish homes destroyed by the bushfires,” Mr Merlino said.

“As the impact of the fire becomes clearer, additional assistance will be made available as required.”

Individuals in the local government areas of Colac-Otway, Corangamite, Moyne and Southern Grampians can now access the following emergency assistance to relieve personal hardship and distress:

  • Personal Hardship Assistance Payments, which provide payments of up to $540 per adult and $270 per child (up to a maximum of $1,890 per household) are available to help meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing, and personal items.
  • Emergency Re-establishment Assistance provides up to $40,700 per eligible household that has been affected by fire at their primary place of residence. The grants are available for eligible clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding (a principal place of residence), and replacing some damaged contents.

Anyone who has been affected by the bushfires and suffering personal hardship and distress should call the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 to find out about the assistance available.

Information on disaster assistance can be found on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at Link and the VicEmergency website at Link .

Reviewed 19 August 2020

Was this page helpful?