Kids across Western Victoria will get the world-class schools they deserve, as the Andrews Labor Government gets on with the job of fixing, upgrading and modernising Victoria’s schools.
The Labor Government has today announced that the Victorian Budget 2018/19 will invest $180.8 million to build and upgrade 60 regional schools. Across Western Victoria, $7.57 million will go towards building and upgrading schools including:
- $4 million for Stawell Secondary College to construct the first stage of the school’s masterplan
- $300,000 for Casterton Primary School to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $600,000 for Dimboola Memorial Secondary to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $200,000 for George Street Primary School Hamilton to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $2.3 million for Kaniva College to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $170,000 for Merino Consolidated School to upgrade and modernise facilities
This massive boost to regional school funding will upgrade classrooms and school facilities across Victoria, helping teachers and giving more students the support they need to get the 21st century education they deserve.
The Victorian School Building Authority will now start working with schools to determine the scope of their upgrades and how they can best be delivered.
The Labor Government is building the Education State so every Victorian student can get a great education and every community has access to a great local school.
Since 2014, the Labor Government has invested $775 million in regional school infrastructure. This contrasts with the Liberals and Nationals who let our regional schools crumble and decay, while slashing $1 billion from the education budget and axing the Educational Maintenance Allowance and School Start Bonus.
Quote attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“No matter where you live in Victoria, students deserve to have a great school – we’re getting on with rebuilding schools across our state to give hard working families the facilities they deserve.”
Quote attributable to Member for Western Victoria Jaala Pulford
“We’re upgrading schools right across Western Victoria to make sure they have the best classrooms and the best facilities. Unlike the Liberals who cut, the Labor Government will always put hard working families first.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020