Victorian sports stars Andrew Bogut and Meg Lanning have taken out the top prizes at the Victorian Sport Awards held at the MCG last night.
Minister for Sport John Eren congratulated NBA star Bogut, who took out the Male Athlete of the Year Award after his defining role with the Championship-winning Golden State Warriors. Mr Eren also paid tribute to Lanning, who helped the Southern Stars reclaim the Ashes from England.
Two of Victoria’s most inspirational champions shared the Victorian Governor’s Award for the Victorian Sportsperson of the Year, as wheelchair tennis grand slam champion Dylan Alcott claimed the prestigious award alongside history-making Melbourne Cup winner, Michelle Payne.
Alcott is one of Australia’s most talented athletes and admired competitors. At 17 he became the youngest gold medal winner for wheelchair basketball at the Paralympic Games, and has since turned his attention to tennis. Alcott has rocketed up the rankings to reach World Number 1 in the singles quads, and picked up twin Grand Slam titles along the way.
Payne made history and captured worldwide attention last year when she became the first woman jockey to win the Melbourne Cup. Payne, who rode Prince of Penzance to victory to achieve the feat, was inducted into the 2016 Victorian Honour Roll of Women earlier this week.
Victoria is the sporting state, and it’s thanks to our champions at the top level that help us stay that way. They inspire the next crop of stars to be the best that they can be, and entertain many thousands more.
A full list of winners can be found on the next page.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Sport John Eren
“Victoria is home to some of the world’s champion athletes, and the Victorian Sport Awards is a celebration of the remarkable talent we produce.”
“Andrew Bogut and Meg Lanning have made their mark on the world stage. They’re athletes of the highest calibre, and worthy winners.”
“Dylan Alcott and Michelle Payne have provided two of Victorian sport’s most remarkable stories. They are a source of inspiration for so many Victorians.”
Full List of Winners
- Governor’s Award for the Victorian Sportsperson of the Year – Dylan Alcott and Michelle Payne
- Victorian Male Athlete of the Year – Andrew Bogut
- Victorian Female Athlete of the Year – Meg Lanning
- Victorian Junior Athlete of the Year – Isis Holt
- Victorian Team of the Year – Victorian Fury
- Victorian Junior Team of the Year – CVI Victorian Junior State Team
- Masters Sport Award – Glenn Busby
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Sport – Nicole Livingstone OAM
- Victorian Coach of the Year – Ange Postecoglou
- Victorian Official of the Year – Thomas Sweeney
- Victorian Sports Administrator – Matthew Kennedy
- VicSport Media Award – Four Corners, ABC
- Sports Development Initiative Award – South Sudanese Australian Summer Slam
- Sports Development Initiative Award – Sponsorship Assistance Program – Maribyrnong City Council
Reviewed 19 August 2020