The Victorian Government believes in public transport in regional Victoria.
Regional Fast Rail and Regional Rail Link connected Victoria’s regional centres with 21st-century transport technology, laying the foundations for major economic growth.
Since 2015, the Victorian Government has invested $1.3 billion in regional rail, including the $440 million Murray Basin Rail Project and the $518 million Ballarat Line Upgrade.
Over the past two years, 432 new passenger services have been added across the regional network.
The Victorian Government is investing $435 million to upgrade the Gippsland line which will deliver critical enabling works for more frequent and reliable services.
It's an upgrade on every major regional train line.It's $1.45 billion worth of work.It's a thousand new jobs.It's the Regional Rail Revival.Because every Victorian deserves public transport they can rely on – wherever they live.
Posted by Daniel Andrews on Saturday, 29 April 2017
Planning for further improvements
Plans to deliver further improvements to regional Victoria’s rail network.
Warrnambool Line Upgrade
Delivering extra services, shorter journey times, and paving the way to run VLocity trains to Warrnambool.
- a crossing loop from Boorcan to Weerite
- signalling upgrades between Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool.
Surf Coast Rail Upgrade
Developing the Armstrong Creek and Torquay transit corridor, and paving the way for Waurn Ponds track duplication.
- a second platform and pedestrian crossing at Waurn Ponds
- Torquay and Armstrong Creek Transit Corridor reservation
- development funding for future stages.
Bendigo and Echuca Line Upgrade
Delivering extra services and shorter journey times for Bendigo and Echuca lines.
- signalling upgrades from Bendigo to Epsom and Eaglehawk
- track speed upgrades between Bendigo and Echuca.
Ballarat Line Upgrade Stage 2
Delivering an extra service to Ararat, improving freight movements and paving the way for future additional passenger services.
- Ararat stabling
- signalling upgrades and track works for improved passenger and freight movements around Ballarat.
North-East Line Improvements
Delivering station upgrades to support the growing suburbs of Donnybrook and Wallan, and preparing the corridor for new trains
- design work and enabling infrastructure for standard gauge VLocity
- station improvements at Donnybrook and Wallan
Avon River Bridge Upgrade
Removing temporary speed restrictions on the Gippsland line and paving the way for running future additional services.
- upgrade the Avon River Bridge