Victoria’s tireless health volunteers have been honoured at the 2019 Minister for Health Volunteer Awards for their important work enriching the lives of patients.
Minister for Health Jenny Mikakos today announced six health volunteer award recipients who were commended for their invaluable contribution improving the health and wellbeing of Victorians.
These volunteers and organisations are from right across our community - professionals visiting the elderly after work, retirees running support groups, young people using their own illness experience to raise awareness and first-aiders running response teams.
Their generous work makes a real difference in the lives of Victorians when they need it most.
The full list of recipients of the 2019 Minister for Health Volunteer Awards are:
- Jamilla McCoy, Very Special Kids - Outstanding Achievement by a Young Volunteer Award
- Emma Finch, Link Health and Community - Outstanding Lifetime Achievement
- Peter Mac Radiation Therapy Mask Art, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and Koala Kids – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer: Better Care Victoria Innovation Award
- Listening to Voices Theatre, Gateway Health – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer: Supporting Diversity Award
- Alan White, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer: Improving public healthcare
- Chon Witherden, Barwon Health – Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer: Improving the patient experience
The awards include an honour roll paying tribute to volunteers who have contributed 50 years of service.
This includes John Crennan from St John’s Ambulance Victoria, Yvonne Josephine Henderson OAM from the Robinvale Ambulance Auxiliary, Norman Wynne from the Maffra Ambulance Auxiliary and the late Rod Patton who was an active member of the CFA and showed dedication to Ambulance Victoria and the Cowes community.
To learn more about this year’s volunteers visit health.vic.gov.au/volunteerawards
Quotes attributable to Minister for Health Jenny Mikakos
“Our tireless local volunteers are the heart and soul of our healthcare system. This is why we recognise and celebrate their amazing work.”
“The dedication and passion of our health volunteers truly changes patients’ lives for the better.”
“Volunteers step in and provide strong and meaningful support to some of Victoria’s most vulnerable.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020