Minister for Roads and Road Safety, Luke Donnellan, today visited Queenscliff to unveil 22 new ‘Welcome to Country’ signs across south-western Victoria.
The signs, which form part of the Andrews Labor Government’s Transport Investing in Regions initiative, recognise the traditional owners of the land and have been installed across the arterial road network.
The Wadawurrung people are the Traditional Owners of an area of land bounded by Anglesea, Werribee, Bacchus Marsh, Beaufort, Streatham and Derrinallum.
The signs were developed in close consultation with the Wadawurrung people, and encourage respect and recognition from the Wadawurrung and their connection to country.
They will help to promote a broader understanding of Wadawurrung heritage among all Victorians.
The Transport Investing in Regions Initiative was established to gain a better understanding of local transport needs in regional areas and deliver practical solutions on the ground.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Roads and Road Safety, Luke Donnellan
“The signs celebrate Aboriginal culture and recognise the symbolic importance of the area to the Wadawurrung people.”
“We have worked closely with the Wadawurrung people to ensure that the design and location of the signs reflect their important connection to the land.”
Quote attributable to Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation Cultural Heritage Projects Officer, Sean Fagan
“The signage is extremely significant to Wadawurrung people - it has given the Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation a great opportunity to work collaboratively with the Victorian Government to promote recognition and respect for Wadawurrung people as traditional owners.”
Wadawurrung Welcome to Country Sign Locations
- Great Ocean Road, Aireys Inlet
- Surf Coast Highway, Mount Duneed
- Larkin Parade, Queenscliff
- Hamilton Highway, Derrinallum
- Hamilton Highway, Duverney
- Colac Ballarat Road, Cressy
- Rokewood Shelford Road, Warrambine
- Rokewood Shelford Road, Rokewood
- Hamilton Highway, Hesse
- Winchelsea Deans Marsh Road, Bambra
- Princes Freeway, Werribee
- Geelong Road/Princes Highway, Werribee
- Heaths Road, Werribee
- Bacchus Marsh Geelong Road, Parwan
- Ballan Road, Werribee
- Western Highway, Ballan
- Ballan Daylesford Road, Korweinguboora
- Midland Highway, Sulky
- Ballarat Maryborough Road, Blowhard
- Sunraysia Highway, Learmonth
- Beaufort Lexton Road, Lexton
- Glenelg Highway, Streatham
Reviewed 19 August 2020