The Andrews Labor Government today announced ten new health service board chairs to oversee and manage major Victorian hospitals and ensure patients continue to get the safe, high quality care they deserve.
The appointments follow new measures introduced by the Labor Government to ensure our health service boards have the right mix of skills, knowledge and experience to improve performance and put patient safety first.
Two new appointments are:
- Ms Linda Bardo Nicholls AO as Chair of Melbourne Health, starting on 13 May
- Mr Dipak Rajnikant Sanghvi as Chair of Monash Health, starting on 1 July.
A further eight reappointments, all starting on 1 July, include:
- Ms Nicola Melville as Chair of Albury Wodonga Health
- Ms Judith Troeth as Chair of Austin Health
- Mr Robert Cameron as Chair of Bendigo Health Care Group
- Ms Zoe Wainer as Chair of Dental Health Services Victoria
- Ms Joanna Flynn as Chair of Eastern Health
- Ms Jennifer Williams as Chair of Northern Health
- Ms Maxine Morand as Chair of Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute
- Ms Lynette Swinburne as Chair of The Royal Women’s Hospital.
In this round, 8 out of 10 appointments are women, yet another example that our health system is leading the way when it comes to increasing the number of women in leadership positions, with these appointments bringing the number of female Chairs of major Victorian hospitals to 68 per cent.
The Labor Government’s Health Legislation Amendment (Quality and Safety) was introduced following recommendations from the Targeting Zero: supporting the Victorian hospital system to eliminate avoidable harm and strengthen quality of care report by Dr Stephen Duckett.
These laws strengthened and elevated boards’ roles and responsibilities for quality and safety, and improved governance arrangements. As part of the changes, public hospital boards in rural and regional Victoria will be paid from this year.
We are also investing nearly $215 million to strengthen quality and safety in Victorian hospitals, including the establishment of the Boards Ministerial Advisory Committee, Safer Care Victoria and the Victorian Agency for Health Information.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Health Jill Hennessy
“We need strong governance structures in place in our health services. We have strengthened boards to deliver safer and better care for patients.”
“These Chairs each have exceptional experience and will provide fantastic leadership to their respective health services, ensuring they operate efficiently and effectively, and provide the best care to Victorians.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020