The Andrews Labor Government has appointed a new board of directors to the Victorian Ports Corporation (Melbourne) (VPCM), following the announcement of Lonsdale Consortium as the leaseholders of the Port of Melbourne.
Minister for Ports Luke Donnellan today announced the inaugural board members of the VPCM, which include Mr James Cain as Chair and Ms Janice Van Reyk as Deputy Chair, along with Ms Debbie Beale, Mr Peter Tuohey and Mr James Chen as new directors.
The new authority will focus on managing commercial shipping in Port Phillip channels, as well as emergency and marine pollution response.
The board will also manage Victoria’s premier cruise shipping facility, Station Pier, which is set for a record cruise ship season in 2016-17.
Mr Donnellan paid tribute to outgoing PoMC board members for their invaluable contribution in shaping Melbourne as the biggest container port in the nation, with an outstanding record of success.
Mark Birrell has chaired PoMC over the past five years during a period of significant growth and transition, which included the delivery of the largest port infrastructure development program for fifty years.
The CEO of VPCM is Rachel Johnson and key executives include the statutory Harbour Master for the Port of Melbourne, Captain Roy Stanbrook.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Ports Luke Donnellan
“Now that we’ve leased the Port of Melbourne, we want to ensure that its reputation as Australia’s leading port continues to rise – and that’s exactly what the Victorian Port Corporation will do.”
“The board will play a key role in coordinating safer navigation in Port Phillip channels for the 3000 vessels which call at the Port of Melbourne each year.”
“These appointments strike the right balance of diversity, expertise and experience, and I wish all the new board members the best of luck.”
Victorian Ports Corporation (Melbourne) Board
Mr James Cain (Chair)
- Extensive background in project development management in property and infrastructure, in both the public and private sectors.
- 12 years’ experience with property and construction company Lend Lease in various roles including General Manager for Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia,
- 5 years with the Victorian Government as Executive Director of Major Projects Victoria.
Ms Janice Van Reyk (Deputy Chair)
- Highly respected Non-Executive Director currently serving on the boards Citywide and Northern Territory EPA.
- Independent member of The Salvation Army, Audit Committee and an independent member of the Sustainability Victoria, Audit Finance and Risk Committee.
Ms Debbie Beale
- Experience with Merrill Lynch and Ernst & Young where she specialising in governance and risk management.
- Served and continues to serve on a number of government, private and not-for-profit boards. Her broad experience includes the areas of finance, corporate governance, fundraising, public relations and risk management.
Mr Peter Tuohey
- President of the Victorian Farmers Federation in 2012.
- Chair of the Farm Business and Regional Development Committee from 2010 – 2013.
- Peter has also represented Victoria on the National Farmers Federation (NFF) Economics Committee and held other positions relevant to catchment planning and regional development in his region.
Mr James Chen
- Established JPC Containers in 1990 and built the organisation to become one of largest shipping containers management services providers in Victoria.
- Extensive experience in the maritime sector in both Victorian and New South Wales.
Reviewed 19 August 2020