The Andrews Labor Government’s includes more than $12.4 billion to build the job-creating infrastructure projects our growing state needs, and provides major investments to help workers gain new skills and enter new industries with confidence.
Our economy is changing, and we need to make sure workers get support so they don’t miss out.
The Budget provides $53 million to establish Jobs Victoria, which will consolidate all Victorian employment services into one system, for the first time, so it’s more accessible for employers and prospective employees.
Jobs Victoria will focus on workers in transitioning industries and those who are most in need of work, including young people and people escaping family violence.
The Government’s $10 million expansion of the Victorian Automotive Transition Plan will support businesses to hire retrenched workers.
Our strength is our people, and we must increase everyone’s opportunity to learn new skills. That’s why the Government saved the TAFE system, with the $320 million TAFE Rescue Fund which reopened closed campuses across the state.
The Budget provides $116 million to establish 10 new Tech Schools, so secondary school students can also get a head start on their hands-on education.
We’re also strengthening our Victorian Industry Participation Policy with a further $12 million investment, on top of $5.6 million in existing funding in the 2015-16 Budget, which helps ensure that Victorian companies benefit from Victorian projects.
By setting out minimum targets for local content on major government projects, we’re helping Victorian businesses benefit from our record infrastructure investment and supporting more than 4000 new jobs over the next four years in manufacturing and construction.
All up, the major infrastructure projects funded in this Budget are expected to create more than 15,000 jobs, and drive more economic activity and productivity in the longer term. Some of these projects include:
- The fully funded Metro Tunnel – Australia’s most important public transport project
- $924 million worth of upgrades for classrooms and new school buildings across the state
- A big investment in health infrastructure, including $169 million for Goulburn Valley Health
- A $7 billion investment in road upgrades, to cut congestion and improve safety in suburban and regional areas
- A $101 million Regional Tourism Infrastructure Fund, which will create 1700 jobs
- Extending the rail line to Mernda and upgrading the Hurstbridge line
- Removing 50 of Victoria’s most dangerous and congested level crossings, to cut traffic and create jobs
Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews
“Since we came to office, more than 112,000 new jobs have been created. It’s a great start, but we still have more to do.”
“Industries are transitioning but make no mistake, this Government will help affected workers gain new skills and get a fresh start.”
“Across roads, rail, schools and hospitals, we are investing in what Victoria needs now, while helping create thousands of local jobs.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020