More than 100 road safety projects are about to start rolling out across Victoria, in a $245 million road improvement blitz designed to reduce road trauma and save lives.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack and Victorian Minister for Roads and Road Safety Ben Carroll announced that the first tranche of the jointly-funded projects would start later this month.
The upgrades will be delivered across Victoria by mid-year, leading to a wide range of safety improvements such new safety barriers to prevent head-on and run-off-road crashes and rumble strip line-marking to alert drivers if they veer from their lane.
The package will also include safety upgrades for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as a number of intersection upgrades in local communities.
“We are ensuring this road safety package can roll-out quickly, saving lives and reducing injuries,” the Deputy Prime Minister said.
“These projects were selected based on the safety risk at each of the locations, with the aim of reducing road trauma in both regional and metropolitan areas – because any death on our roads is one too many.”
Minister for Roads and Road Safety Ben Carroll said the program would target some of the highest-risk areas in the state.
“This extensive package of projects ranges from smaller-scale improvements to major upgrades, with crews ready to hit the ground and get started immediately at a number of these sites,” Mr Carroll said.
“Whether you’re commuting to work, going for a Sunday ride, or dropping the kids off at school – we’re ensuring that our road network is safer for everyone.”
Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said road safety was a key priority for the Australian Government and this investment in upgrades would provide a boost to the economy while saving lives and livelihoods.
“Road safety is a shared responsibility and collaboration between communities along with all levels of government will help us move towards achieving Vision Zero,” Mr Buchholz said.
“Projects are already underway through the $500 million Targeted Road Safety COVID-19 stimulus package and this additional funding complements that work, resulting in an even greater roll-out of improved infrastructure and roads right across the nation.”
In regional Victoria, projects will include safety improvements on the Midland Highway between Daylesford and Guildford, on Portarlington-Queenscliff Road at Portarlington and improving safety barriers on the Western Highway.
In Melbourne, works will include projects like upgrading traffic signals on Plenty Road in Bundoora and on Bridge Road near Yarra Boulevard in Richmond.
The $245 million investment includes $183 million of funding from the Australian Government and $62 million from the Victorian Government.
It builds on the joint $97.2 million investment made by the Australian and Victorian Governments earlier this year to boost road safety across the state.
Reviewed 16 February 2021