The $6.9 million Julia Gillard Library was officially opened by its namesake today.
Introducing Ms Gillard, Minister for Local Government Natalie Hutchins said the Victorian Government had contributed $750,000 towards the Tarneit library, part of the Living Libraries Infrastructure Fund. Wyndham City Council contributed the remaining funds.
The library includes large children’s and youth spaces, an area for community activities, study rooms and a social reading area and is already proving a huge success with Tarneit residents, with 9527 visitors and 17,067 items loaned in its first two weeks.
The opening comes as the Andrews Labor Government announced the latest round of Living Library funding:
- $600,000 for the redevelopment of the Sebastopol Library
- $33,700 for the refurbishment of the St Albans Library
- $750,000 for the new Narre Warren Library
- $37,500 for the refurbishment Cobden and Terang libraries
- $131,100 for the refurbishment of the Kerang Library
- $102,750 for the refurbishment of the Golden Plains mobile library
- $750,000 for the new Leopold Library
- $500,000 for the new Daylesford Library
- $100,000 for the new Newport Library
- $140,000 for the redevelopment of the Morwell Library
- $34,300 for the refurbishment of the Mansfield Library
- $161,720 for the refurbishment of the Mildura Library
- $4250 for the refurbishment of Mitchell libraries
- $24,280 for the refurbishment of the Glenroy and Coburg libraries
- $139,900 for the refurbishment of Murrindindi libraries
- $90,000 for the refurbishment of the Nagambie Library
- $150,000 for the refurbishment of the Thomastown Library
- $185,000 for the redevelopment of the Warracknabeal Library
- $65,500 for the refurbishment of the Richmond Library
The funding comes on top of a record $40.5 million investment in the Public Libraries Funding Program and $1.1 million for the Premiers’ Reading Challenge Book Fund.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Local Government Natalie Hutchins
“The Andrews Labor Government knows how important libraries are to local residents. That’s why we’re investing in Victoria’s libraries – the heart of so many communities across the state.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Tarneit Telmo Languiller
“Fifteen years ago Tarneit’s population was around 340. Now it’s more than 20,000. It’s clearly time for Tarneit to have a library, and I’m pleased the Victorian Government played its part with a $750,000 contribution.”