Strengthening our relationship with China and boosting trade to create more jobs will be on the agenda as Premier Daniel Andrews kicks off a three-day trip to Beijing and the Jiangsu province.
The visit to China is the Premier’s fifth in five years, delivering on his promise to visit China every year as Premier, and helping cement our relationship with the world’s second biggest economy and our main trading partner worth over $26 billion in bilateral trade.
In 2016 the Andrews Labor Government set ambitious targets for trade, education, and cultural relations through the Partnerships for Prosperity, Victoria’s new China Strategy, with the achievements so far including:
- More than tripling Victoria’s share of Chinese investment to Australia from 8 per cent to 25 per cent, outstripping the 20 per cent target by eight years
- Exceeding our 10-year target for the number of Chinese post-graduate students in Victoria in two years
- Boosting Victoria’s exports to China from $6.5 billion to $10 billion in two years
- Increasing overnight spending by Chinese visitors to Victoria from $2.2 billion to $3.4 billion by 2026. In 2018 overnight expenditure of Chinese visitors is valued at $2.7 billion, with a record 659,000 visitors
- Securing a $2 million Asia Gateway Program providing Victorian companies support to increase their export capabilities with China and other key Asian markets.
As part of the Premier’s visit to China, he will attend the Belt and Road Forum – the world’s largest economic development project – to increase trade and create jobs.
As part of the Forum, the Premier will meet key Chinese government officials and business leaders to discuss potential opportunities in delivering Victoria’s record pipeline of infrastructure investment.
Deepening long-standing relationships will also be a key part of the visit, with the Premier travelling to Victoria’s sister-state, Jiangsu to mark the 40th anniversary of the partnership between the two states.
Over four decades, Victoria and Jiangsu have worked together successfully in a range of sectors, including science, technology and innovation, creative arts, and education.
Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews
“We said we’d take our relationship to China to the next level and that is exactly what we’ve done.”
“Over the past four years, Victoria’s exports to China have doubled and Victoria’s share of Chinese investment in Australia has tripled – that means more jobs for Victorians.”
“I’m proud that Victoria is now seen as the gateway to Chinese investment and trade in Australia, and I look forward to deepening our longstanding ties.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020