Have Your Say On Caravan Park Regulations

24 May 2019

Victorians will help shape future caravan park regulations, with consultation now open to ensure the industry operates effectively into the future.

Caravan parks are popular holiday destinations, while also providing options for affordable housing and retirement living.

The regulations under review set out requirements for caravan parks and movable dwellings on topics including health and wellbeing, fire safety and emergency management, registration and construction standards.

The Andrews Labor Government is reviewing these regulations, which expire in 2020, to assess how well they are working and make any necessary changes.

This will ensure the safety and standard of living for visitors and residents while assisting caravan park operators to effectively carry out their responsibilities.

The review process will run throughout 2019 and early 2020 with the new Regulations to take effect by June 2020. Consultation with stakeholders from across the sector is an important part of this process.

A consultation paper is now available, with submissions to help shape topics that will be considered in a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS).

The RIS will discuss how the current regulations operate, along with options and rationale for changes, including a cost-benefit analysis. It will form the basis for advice to the Minister for Planning on what future regulations should include.

For more information and to make a submission, visit

Quotes attributable to Minister for Planning Richard Wynne

“Victorians love caravanning and camping – and for good reason. Caravan parks are in some of Victoria’s most spectacular places.

“We want to make sure people continue to enjoy staying in caravan parks and strike the right balance between safety, accessibility, and cost.”

“It’s time to review these regulations to ensure we deliver safety and high standards of living for visitors and residents, while supporting business owners.”

Reviewed 19 August 2020

Was this page helpful?