VCE exams officially got underway today with 43,808 students across Victoria sitting their English exam at 9am this morning.
Minister for Education James Merlino wished all students who are sitting VCE exams over the next three weeks the best of luck and congratulated all students, teachers and families on their hard work in the lead up.
From writing to performance to oral exams, 85,108 students will sit at least one exam by the time exams finish on November 22.
This year’s top ten VCE subjects are English, further mathematics, mathematical methods, psychology, business management, health and human development, biology, physical education, chemistry and legal studies.
While the VCE examinations and release of results is an important and exciting time, it can often be stressful for VCE students and their parents.
Tips to good health and wellbeing during the exam period include developing healthy study habits, connecting with friends and family and making time to have fun.
Key facts and figures for the 2017 exam period include:
- Number of students sitting at least one exam: 85,108
- 43,808 students sitting the English exam on 1 November
- 3,642 students sitting English as an Additional Language exam on 1 November
- 595 non-Victorian students sitting VCE written exams overseas
- Subjects with a written exam: 108
- Number of mature-age students sitting exams: 582
- Number of VCE languages being examined: 48
- Examination centres in Victorian Schools: 513
- Largest examination centre: Bendigo Senior Secondary College (1,081 students)
- Smallest examination centre: Lake Bolac College (3 students)
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“This is an important milestone for students – it represents the culmination of 13 years of schooling and the opportunity to demonstrate all that they’ve learnt and can do.”
“Students should be mindful of looking after themselves during what can be a stressful time, so make sure to chat to friends and family if you are feeling overwhelmed and stay healthy.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020