Recommendations for the Andrews Labor Government’s $63 million revitalisation of the Frankston Station Precinct have been released.
Station Precinct Taskforce Chair and Member for Frankston Paul Edbrooke officially provided the recommendations to the Minister for Public Transport, Jacinta Allan today.
Priority recommendations include:
- improving Frankston Station by rebuilding the station, consolidating buses on Young Street and upgrading the subway
- improving Young Street by creating a high quality pedestrian streetscape
- facilitating development of council and state government land
- providing better pedestrian connections with key destinations
- creating new public plazas
- delivering a range of integrated safety initiatives
- improving access and management of car parking
The recommendations are the result of extensive community and stakeholder consultation undertaken over the past six months.
Funded initiatives such as improving Young Street will be developed this year, in partnership with Frankston City Council, with construction expected to commence in the first-half of 2016.
Other recommendations from the master plan will be considered by the Labor Government and used to prioritise investment for the precinct.
Quotes attributable to the Minister for Public Transport Jacinta Allan
“The Andrews Labor Government’s $63 million revitalisation of the station precinct will transform the heart of Frankston into a safe, modern hub for transport, TAFE and shopping.”
“Now that we know what is important to locals, we can get on with delivering this incredible project, which will do so much for residents and the nearly six thousand people who use Frankston station on any given day.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Frankston Paul Edbrooke
“The recommendations are the culmination of extensive consultation and engagement, and reflect the needs and wants of local stakeholders and the Frankston community.”
“As Chair of the Taskforce, I would like to personally thank everyone who contributed to the recommendations, and I look forward to seeing them integrated into the new station precinct the Andrews Labor Government will deliver for Frankston.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020