Disaster Assistance Extended For Bushfire Affected Communities In Victoria

09 January 2020

Bushfire assistance of up to $1960 per family has been extended to communities in 14 Victorian council areas to help relieve personal hardship and distress.

People in the Ararat, Alpine, Ballarat, Glenelg, Golden Plains, Indigo, Mansfield, Northern Grampians, Pyrenees, Southern Grampians, Wangaratta, Wellington and Wodonga council areas can now access the support package.

Minister for Natural Disaster and Emergency Management David Littleproud said these payments will give people dignity and help communities return to normal life even sooner.

“This gives payments of up to $560 per adult and $280 per child - to a maximum of $1,960 per family,” Minister Littleproud said.

“The payments are to help meet immediate needs of those wort-hit through over next few days.

“This could be used for expenses such as such as food, emergency shelter, medicine and clothing.

“We will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with impacted individuals and communities and provide further assistance as it is needed.”

Victorian Minister for Police and Emergency Services Lisa Neville said a number of communities have been significantly affected across the State, in particular the North-East and Gippsland, and need assistance.

“Recovery support is available for people experiencing personal hardship to help with their immediate emergency needs,” Minister Neville said.

“The package also included personal and financial counselling, to support those suffering in hardship as a direct result of the fires.”

Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Anyone who has been affected by the bushfires and is suffering personal hardship and distress should visit an Emergency Relief Centre or call the Payment Assistance Helpline on 1800 961 054 for advice and support.

Information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at Link the Department of Health and Human Services website at Link and the VicEmergency website at Link .

Reviewed 26 June 2020

Was this page helpful?