Ensuring that hunting in Victoria continues to be a safe and sustainable recreation for future generations will be a key focus for the Andrews Labor Government.
The Labor Government knows the importance of education, awareness and communication, and that’s why the Government is taking steps to support hunters.
Minister for Agriculture Jaala Pulford announced today at the Heart Morass wetland in East Gippsland, funding of $5.33 million from the 2016/17 Victorian Budget to support safe, responsible and sustainable hunting.
The funding will support:
- Government agencies working with hunters to improve the promotion of responsible hunting, provide better hunting opportunities, and ensure our game species remain sustainable.
- The development of a Sustainable Hunting Action Plan, to be delivered later in 2016.
- The improvement of information on; and access to State Game Reserves
- The Australian Deer Association - to coordinate its members participation in controlled culls of invasive deer species on public and some private land.
- Funding will also continue for firearm safety courses. The Firearm Safety Foundation Victoria educates gun owners and shooters about the responsible and safe storage, handling and usage of firearms.
Victoria has some of the best hunting available in Australia. Our 48,000 licensed game hunters make a significant contribution to our state’s economy, with an estimated $439 million flowing into towns across Victoria.
The Government will continue to take action to ensure a responsible, well managed approach to game hunting and will work with stakeholders to ensure the right balance is met.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Agriculture Jaala Pulford
“Responsible hunting benefits farmers and is a recreational past-time for thousands.”
“It’s vital that we continue working hard to ensure that people who want to hunt, can do so in a safe, responsible and sustainable way.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
“Recreational game hunting brings huge numbers of visitors to Gippsland - it's vital that deer hunting and stalking is made as safe and sustainable as possible.”
Reviewed 19 August 2020