Minister for Youth Affairs, Jenny Mikakos, congratulated Victoria’s budding leaders across industry, the community sector and business on their creativity and innovation at the 2015 Victorian Young Achiever Awards in Melbourne tonight.
As patron of the Awards, Ms Mikakos joined young people and members of the Melbourne business community in acknowledging and celebrating the achievements of Victorians aged under 28.
Ms Mikakos presented the Victorian Young Achiever of the Year Award to Georgia Retallick. Ms Retallick was recognised for her leadership as founder and president of Y-House, a not-for-profit organisation that supports young people living in aged care facilities.
Ms Mikakos also presented the Victorian Government Innovation Award to Alastair Pryor of North Fitzroy who established Compact Shelters, a company that designs and produces foldable shelters for homeless people. Mr Pryor works with charities here and overseas to provide solution to those in need of temporary shelter.
Ms Mikakos congratulated all of the finalists and awards winners on their remarkable efforts and achievements.
The winners of the 2015 Victorian Young Achiever Awards are:
- Victorian Young Achiever of the Year – Georgia Retallick
- The Coffee Club Arts and Fashion Award – Rebecca Clark
- BASF Science and Technology Award – David Riglar
- Victorian Government Innovation Award – Alastair Pryor
- Academy Graphics Regional Achiever Award – Jessi McEwan
- Bartercard Online Achievement Award – Andrew Armstrong & Long Zheng
- First National Real Estate Leadership – Georgia Retallick
- Victorian Government Small Business Achievement Award – Paul O’Shea, CS Town Planning and Services
- AustralianSuper Career Kick Start Award – Kate McLean
- Saward Dawson Community Service and Volunteering Award – Mark Green.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Youth Affairs, Jenny Mikakos
“I’m delighted to be the patron of these prestigious awards and look forward to following the future progress of the winners.”
“All of the winners and finalists here tonight at the Young Achiever Awards have made a difference in their fields, and they all have bright futures ahead of them.”
"Young people are making their mark on the world. It’s been a difficult time selecting winners from such an outstanding group of finalists."
Reviewed 19 August 2020