Twenty-eight new schools accommodating more than 15,000 students will be built and planned for in the fastest growing parts of the state, giving families peace of mind that their kids will be able to go to a great local school, close to home.
The Victorian Budget 2018/19 includes $353.2 million to build 12 new schools as part of a massive funding boost from the Andrews Labor Government. This includes:
- Armstrong Creek West Primary School (opening 2020)
- Beveridge West Primary School (opening 2020)
- Botanic Ridge Primary School (opening 2020)
- Casey Fields (Five Ways) Primary School (opening 2020)
- Clyde North East Primary School (opening 2020)
- Craigieburn South Secondary School (opening 2020)
- Davis Creek Primary School (opening 2020)
- Footscray Learning Precinct – Seddon Secondary Campus (opening 2021)
- Keysborough South Primary School (opening 2020)
- Lucas Primary School (opening 2020)
- Point Cook South Senior Secondary School (opening 2020)
- Wyndham South (Riverwalk) Primary School (opening 2020)
Planning and early works will start on another 9 new schools, including Armstrong Creek Secondary School, a second McKinnon Secondary College campus, Fishermans Bend Secondary School, Fitzroy Gasworks senior campus, Leneva (Frederic Street Road) P-6, Miners Rest Primary School, North Melbourne Hill and Endeavour Hills Special School. A further $18.8 million will go to building the first stage of Docklands Primary School.
The Budget includes $46.1 million for additional stages of 7 new schools opening in 2019, including Aitken Primary School, Burnside Primary School, Pakenham North East Primary School, Preston High School, Sanctuary Lakes P 9, Truganina East P 9 and Yarrambat Park Primary School. These works include gyms and extra classrooms.
The Labor Government is building the Education State to give every Victorian student a great education, and every community a great local school. In contrast, in 2016 not one new school opened because the Liberals failed to plan for our growing state. We won’t let that happen again.
Over the last three years, our investments total more than $2.8 billion, funding more than 1,200 school upgrades and building 70 new schools, as well as creating more than 5,000 jobs.
Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews
“We’re giving families in our growth areas certainty that they will have a great local school, close to home.”
“This is more than just an investment in new buildings, this is an investment in our kids’ future.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“The previous Liberal Government slashed education funding and failed to plan for future growth. We’re changing that so that every child will have every chance – regardless of where they live.”