The Andrews Labor Government is delivering a stronger, more accountable local government sector, with the latest data on council performance released today.
The fifth update of the Labor Government’s Know Your Council website gives Victorians transparent, easy to understand performance data on their local council.
The update gives Victorians insight into areas where their councils are improving, as well as where they need to do better, including:
- more health inspections of aquatic facilities, which are up 17.65 per cent
- quicker responses to animal management requests, with the time taken down seven per cent
- slower action on food complaints, which now take an average of two days
- delivering maternal health services to 100 per cent of families and new babies
- fewer active library members – down 2.6 per cent – but steady library usage overall
Know Your Council is unique to Victoria and assesses council performance across 59 categories, covering core services including maternal and child health, waste collection, planning permits and roading.
Since it was launched in 2015, an average of 9,000 users each week have visited Know Your Council – which not only ranks individual councils but allows ratepayers to compare their council’s performance with others across the state.
Council performance data for 2018 is available at knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Local Government Adem Somyurek
“Know Your Council is a crucial part of our work to promote transparency, accountability and improved services across Victoria’s 79 councils.”
“This is about giving Victorian households the information they need to hold their councils to account and weigh up their performance.”
“The latest data shows that councils are working to improve delivery across key areas and that our Fair Go Rates cap is working.”