Use the following social sites to connect and share with Premier Denis Napthine.
The Coalition Government is taking unprecedented steps toward establishing a world’s best practice anti-corruption and integrity system in Victoria. The Coalition is committed to achieving the highest standard in government integrity by establishing new bodies and new powers to root out corruption and ensure every Victorian can have faith in the public sector and elected officials.
The centrepiece of the Coalition’s program for government integrity is an Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission which, for the first time in Victoria, will be able to investigate allegations of corruption against politicians and public servants. The body will have a full range of investigative and coercive powers, lifting Victoria up to the standard set in other Australian states.
The Coalition Government is implementing a number of reforms to strengthen existing integrity rules and bodies including:
- establishing a Freedom of Information Commissioner to oversee the Freedom of Information Act;
- protecting the Ombudsman with a new committee of the Parliament to hear complaints and concerns raised by that office; and
- protecting the Auditor-General by guaranteeing the Auditor-General’s office has the right to appear before a Parliamentary Committee and raise any concerns about government conduct, such as the former Labor Government’s plans to cut the Auditor-General’s powers
The Coalition Government believes government integrity is essential to good government and good outcomes for Victorians. We are working right now to provide the bodies, the powers and the safeguards necessary for Victorians to know their public sector is accountable.
Achievements and policies implemented
- Introduced legislation to establish IBAC
- Introduced legislation to establish the Victorian Inspectorate and the Joint Committee of Parliament to provide important oversight of IBAC
- Introduced legislation to establish the Public Interest Monitor to appear in the public interest in applications by law enforcement agencies for telecommunications and surveillance device warrants
- Established a Consultation Panel of eminent persons to inform the legislation to establish IBAC
- Established an Implementation Unit to enable the inaugural IBAC Commissioner and the Victorian Inspector to hit the ground running once appointed
- Commenced a world-wide executive search to identify the inaugural IBAC Commissioner and the inaugural Victorian Inspector