The latest information about Victoria's farmers' markets will be available via iPhone following the release of the first Famers' Market iPhone app today by Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional and Rural Development Peter Ryan.
Speaking at the Royal Melbourne Show, Mr Ryan said the iPhone app would be a valuable tool in promoting the range of fresh produce and goods available at authentic farmers' markets around the state.
"The app will better connect shoppers to producers by listing market stalls by category, region and name along with the date and area that markets are being held," Mr Ryan said.
"It can also be used to alert people about when and where the markets are being held, so shoppers don't miss an opportunity to visit the markets and enjoy the array of fresh, home grown goods that are available."
During the launch Mr Ryan also announced that the Victorian Coalition Government would provide $142,500 for the Victorian Farmers' Markets Industry Growth Project.
"The Industry Growth Project aims to grow the farmers' market industry by proactively seeking out and supporting new opportunities for stallholders and market managers," Mr Ryan said.
"It will also ensure groups are able to access industry advice, shared experiences from across the state and advocacy when dealing with various government processes."
The project involves:
- developing a targeted communications strategy focusing on providing the right amount of detail to industry newcomers at the right stage;
- a Strategic Gaps Analysis and stimulation of interest from appropriate stakeholders in identified gap areas;
- training programs targeted at prospective stallholders, market managers and community groups;
- stakeholder networking and providing industry advice to councils, community groups and State Government; and
- resources development to help those starting out on the farmers' market journey.
Mr Ryan said the Coalition Government funding for the project would be provided to the Victorian Farmers' Markets Association (VFMA) through the $2 million Farmers' Markets Support Program.
The VFMA Industry Growth Project is expected to be completed in June 2015.
For more information about downloading the iPphone app visit: http://www.vicfarmersmarkets.org.au/content/vfma-iphone-app